Tips for Applying for a U.S. Passport

Tips for Applying for a U.S. Passport

  • Use BLACK ink to fill out forms.
  • Proof of citizenship is required.  Original or certified copy of birth certificate or naturalization papers or previous U.S. passport.
  • Photo identification and a photocopy of the exact same identification, front and back (e.g. Driver’s License).
  • One current color photo 2”x2”. 
  • Previous expired passport, if applicable.   If old passport is lost, applicant must fill out form DS-64.
  • Passport application fees:  See the US Department of State for current fees:
  • Payment to the U.S. Department of State must be in one of the following forms:
    • Personal, cashier’s, traveler’s, treasury, certified or money order checks
    • NO cash, credit cards or starter checks will be accepted.
  • Payment to Kirtland Public Library; $35.00 for passport application fee.  Fee can be paid by check, cash or money order.  Starter checks will not be accepted.  A $25.00 fee will be charged if a check is returned for insufficient funds.
  • DO NOT SIGN your application ahead of time.  It must be signed in the presence of a Passport Acceptance Agent.

Minors under age 16

Both parents must appear with the minor.   There are some exceptions: please ask the Passport agents for details.

The following are required:

  • Proof of citizenship and parental relationship:  submit an original birth certificate or certified copy of birth certificate.
  • Photo identification of both parents
  • One passport photo
  • Previous passport (if applicable)
  • Minor passport application fees: See the State Department website for current fees.

Minors 16-17 years of age:

Minors who are 16 or 17 years of age can apply without parents present if able to submit sufficient photo ID and evidence of parental awareness (e.g. check with parents’ names).  The following must be submitted:

  • Proof of Citizenship: original or certified copy of birth certificate or previous passport;
  • Photo ID; (If temporary driver’s license, additional ID is necessary, or one parent must be present and present his or her ID.  If minor has no ID, one parent MUST accompany the minor and present his or her ID.)
  • One passport photo;
  • Passport application fees:  See the State Department website for current fees.